Sunday, October 2, 2011

DIY Ballet Bar

A few weeks ago Molly started a preschool ballet class and LOVES it! She was very excited to practice, and is always dancing around the house doing plies! So we thought it would be great to get a ballet bar to practice with, especially since most of you know, Molly has huge balance issues after her surgery and we are loving that the bar helps give her balance. BUT, seriously, all the bars I found are WAY, WAY to expensive, especially since she may only do dance for a year or two!

So, here is the cheap alternative my husband made. It is working out perfect, and is super solid. He just went to the local hardware store, and bought a bunch of threaded metal pipe and connectors, then screwed them together! Easy Peasy! The top bar of ours is 4 foot, and the two side bars and 3 foot each.


Here is what the two bases look like, this makes it very sturdy. It's a T joint, 2 short straight pipes, the L joints ( I think, lol, I don't know all the correct terminology ) and then two 1 inch pipes and 2 circle bases.
We put the two 1 inch pipes before the bottom because that made it the correct height for Molly, but as she gets taller, we can change these to 2 or 3 inches each to raise the height.

Here is the happy ballerina practicing! She doesn't always have such a goofy smile, but she was not to thrilled about having to look at a camera when she was "supposed" to be practicing. :)

And there you go, that's how we put together our own ballet bar. I know that wasn't really a tutorial, but if you have any questions, please let me know. :)

9 comments:

  1. Not sure how I missed this post. :) But how awesome for her to get to practice at home! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this and I know she loves it too! and I have to say that the first picture of Molly is absolutely ADORABLE! She is SO cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello! I found your tutorial via Pinterest and am thinking of copying you and making one of these for my little one. Can you tell me how much (ish) this was to make? Let me know, and thank you! becca(dot)nicole(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I run an after school program and I'd love to make these rather than buying them! It would be great to have a ballpark figure of the cost. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this! It looks sooo much sturdier than the PVC versions that are out there! I danced as a kid through college, and would love to be able to do a good barre workout at home. I went to my parent's house not too long ago to retrieve the very nice, very expensive barre they bought me for Christmas one year to find they had turned it into a handrailing for their basement stairs!!!! This looks like a great alternative to spending $300 to replace the one they got me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting...if you have Webroot as your security, i doubt very much that a real Webroot would find your site unsafe, so the app on my computer was probably a malicious fake.
    Webroot.com/safe
    Webroot.com/safe
    Webroot.com/safe
    Webroot.com/safe
    Webroot.com/safe
    Webroot.com/safe
    Webroot.com/safe
    Webroot.com/safe
    Webroot.com/safe
    Webroot.com/safe

    ReplyDelete